Helping You Turn Your American Dream Into A Reality

Is It Time For You To Apply For U.S. Citizenship?

The path to U.S. citizenship can seem like an uphill climb, but with a clear understanding of the process, you can prepare to take this journey at the earliest opportunity. It may be straightforward or difficult for you, depending on your unique circumstances. With an experienced immigration law attorney on your side, you will be ready to meet each challenge and requirement efficiently.

I am immigration law attorney Monica Crooms in Orange County, California, and I am ready to help you go from thinking about applying for U.S. citizenship to actually doing it. With my dedicated legal staff, I look forward to meeting you and hearing about your background and goals. Remember: I am here to help.

Things To Know About Naturalization

“Naturalization” is another word for becoming an American citizen. I am available to help you navigate the legal steps toward naturalization. The information below summarizes answers to questions that many clients ask us about U.S. citizenship.

Paths To Citizenship

If you are under 18 and one of your parents is or was a U.S. citizen but you were born abroad, then your path to citizenship may only require documentation rather than tests and/or interviews.

If you are over 18 and one of your parents was a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth but you were born abroad, then you may also be eligible to apply for citizenship and obtain a first-time U.S. passport.

If you are from another country and have lived in the U.S. as a permanent resident for five years or longer (or three years, if you are married to a U.S. citizen), then you may qualify to apply for U.S. citizenship. You will need to demonstrate continuous residence in the U.S. for those five or three years, with at least 30 months spent physically in the U.S. (or 18 months, if you’re married to a U.S. citizen), before applying. You will also need to demonstrate good moral character and pass a test and interview.

The descriptions above of some of the most common scenarios are generalized summaries and not detailed. They do not cover all possibilities and may not apply in your case. For personalized advice, see a lawyer as soon as possible to avoid wasting time.

Benefits Of Citizenship

As a U.S. citizen, you will be able to get a U.S. passport and vote. You will be able to travel abroad without worrying about losing your eligibility to retain your citizenship. You will qualify for jobs that have U.S. citizenship as a requirement. You may qualify for public assistance if you ever need it. You may be able to sponsor your family members abroad to live and work in the U.S. You will not be at risk of deportation except in extreme, rare situations.

About The Citizenship Interview: Questions, Documents And A Civics Test

At your citizenship interview, you will have a conversation with an officer of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). That person will ask you questions about your background and application. They may ask to see documentation such as your permanent resident card (green card), driver’s license, passport(s) and/or proof of marriage, if applicable. See Form M-477 from the USCIS for a list of documents that you may be asked to show.

In addition to reviewing your personal information, the officer will then ask you to take a test demonstrating your English proficiency as well as your fundamental knowledge about U.S. civics (government and history). The USCIS offers applicants a list of 100 possible questions to study before your interview. Ask your attorney to confirm that the list that you are using is up to date.

Approach Your Citizenship Application And Interview With Confidence

At Crooms Immigration Law, my team and I serve clients in California and across the country from a perspective of compassion, honesty and efficiency. We want to help you achieve your goals without complications.

To schedule a consultation with me and, possibly, members of my staff, contact Crooms Immigration Law by email or by calling 562-502-8401.